Jennifer....first off, I recommend you boot into level 3 and not level 5
to do this.  If you are currently booting directly to the gui desktop
then that is level 5.  The way to change it is to (as root) edit the
/etc/inittab file by changing this line:

id:5:initdefault:

to this:

id:3:initdefault:

You can change it back when you're done.  Now, in the console mode
(reboot if you need to), edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config file and look for
the section that is something like the below excerpt at the very end of
the file:

# The accelerated servers (S3, Mach32, Mach8, 8514, P9000, AGX, W32,
Mach64
# I128, and S3V)
Section "Screen"
    Driver      "accel"
    Device      "My Video Card"
    Monitor     "ViewSonic PS790"
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       32
        Modes       "800x600"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection

Make sure that the ViewPort is set at 0 0 and Modes is set at the
resolution you want as default.  Save the file and test it by starting
the x-server by typing startx on the command line.  If it errors out you
can put the errors in this list for more help, if not you'll be in your
gui desktop at the resolution you wanted.  If you're successful then you
can change the /etc/inittab file back to the way it was.  If not you
probably will want to change the /etc/X11/XF86Config file back the way
it was first.  Good luck.

Alan