Is the AWE card a PNP card?  Do you have a printer connected to this
machine?  If you answer yes to these two things then I suspect the problem
is that the printer on port lpt1 is taking IRQ5, the system then tries to
move the sound card to one of it's defaults which is IRQ 10.  I suspect your
network card isn't PNP? This kills the network card.  If you can force the
sound card to an IRQ.  See what you have available, but more than likely 7
will be available.  Hope this helps.

LongSnowM