>>> "Joseph" == Joseph S Gardner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[snip]

    Joseph>      1.  Is there a method to centralize my user
    Joseph> administration or am I doomed to have to add each
    Joseph> potential user to each machine?  This leads to question #2
    Joseph> where / how to mount /user/home

    Joseph>      2.  I would like to keep all /user/home directories
    Joseph> on one machine.  Is it possible to setup the login
    Joseph> procedure to "mount" /user/home across the network or do I
    Joseph> need to teach every one (including myself) how to use
    Joseph> telnet or what?

[snip]

Telnet isn't necessary.  Each user doesn't need an account on each
machine.  You need NFS.

You could have all the /home directories on an NFS server, and add

/home      192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(rw)

in /etc/exports on the server.  (Let's call the server 'blue'.)

Then enter the information about the /home into /etc/fstab

blue:/home/ben /home/ben nfs rw 0 0

The directory /home/ben on his machine must, of course, be empty.

A problem may arise in this scenario:

User 'ben' on machine 'white' has UID 501 and GID 501 there and
User 'amy' on machine 'green' has UID 501 and GID 501 there.

The map_static option in /etc/exports is used to coordinate UIDs and
GIDs.

/home/ben white(map_static=/etc/nfs/white.map)
/home/amy green(map_static=/etc/nfs/green.map)

so /etc/nfs/white.map would include

uid 501    2001

and /etc/nfs/green.map would include

uid 501    3001