What does your /etc/resolv.conf look like?  It should have the name of
your isp and the ip addresses of their nameservers.  Mine has three
lines:

search nwrain.com
nameserver 205.134.220.38
nameserver 205.134.220.37

nwrain.com is my isp.  The next two lines are the primary and secondary
nameservers.  Also, set the permission on /etc/resolv.conf to 644.  Good
luck,

Hidong