I think it all depends on how much extra support is compiled into your
kernel that you're not using or maybe during install when you chose
services you want started at boot time you chose alot you're not using
either.  Linux takes a little tweaking to get type of setup you want, but
it's very flexible, and once you're happy w/ your performance, you can bet
the farm nothing is going to change unless you change it or your HDD gets
killed.  You just have to do some reading, and mess around a little to get
desired results.  There has never been any intention to make Linux perform
well for everybody straight out of the box.
Viel Gluck!
-Josh