Firstly is your modem a PCI or ISA modem. If it's PCI then it's most likely to
be a winmodem which will not work with linux. If it's an ISA modem (with dip
switches or jumpers) you need to disable the PnP and set it up using
jumpers/switches to say COM4 IRQ3. Remember that the dev/ttyS number runs from
0-3 where 0+IRQ1 etc.

John the Nadger