Hi,

I installed Mandrake 6.1 about 2 weeks ago. Now,
almost everything is working fine except internet
access. From my reading of this mailing list, I
suspect my internal modem (PCI) won't work under
Linux. But, before go for shopping alternative (ISO)
modem, I would like to double check with people if
my PCI modem is indeed hardware based and can work
under Linux. A faint chance!?  Anyway, here's a bit
of info.

My computer is Compaq Presario 5838 (AMD/Athlon500MHz)
with Conexant HCF V90 56K Data Fax PCI internal modem.

On Windows, it is said to connected to Port COM1 at
address and set to use FIFO buffers (requires 16550
compatible UART) and RTS/CTS flow control by hardware.

Now, on Linux, I set modem device to /dev/ttyS0.
The 'setserial -G /dev/ttyS0' command prints out
"/dev/ttyS0 uart 16550A port 0x03f8 irq 4 spd_normal
skip_test".

With this settings, kppp does not work after the
status
changes from "modem ready" to "initializing modem...".
This is ehrn I turn off flow control settings. If I
select CRTSCTS, then the kppp connect attempt
returs "modem does not respond" immediately.
(In either cases, even if I set the modem volume to
maximum, I do not hear any dialing noise.)

I wonder if I miss any other set ups. Or, simply
HCF V90 56k DataFax PCI modem is not usable on Linux.

I appreciate any input/help.
Hitoshi