nilo wrote:

> I just installed Mandrake 7.0 on my laptop where I can have either a floppy
> drive or a CD-ROM drive. The install went on OK (it was an update from 6.1)
> but I discovered the following problem: apparently both the CD-ROM and the
> floppy are "automounted" in the fstab file: this creates no problem when
> logging in but freeze the system when loggin out (apparently it tries to
> umount a device which is not mounted e.g. the floppy when the CD-Rom is
> inserted). I must then switch the power of and I have to through a full scan
> at the next log sequence.
>
> Any idea on how to fix this problem ??? Could the log procedure auto-detect
> the mounted device ? Is it possible to swap the drive without login out ?
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Jacques

I have a toshiba sattelite that uses the same "selectable bay" for
floppy/cdrom.  I haven't had any problems with it freezing the nachine on
logout, but I do have to have the device I want to use installed when I fire up
the machine.  If I fire it up with the floppy, then decide to use the CDROM, I
have to do a reboot.  Otherwise I get a similar error when I try to mount the
device.  I don't think you can do "hot swaps" with linux.  I would really like
it if someone could correct me on this though!!!