Make sure that you have the proper packages installed. The entries in
inetd.conf will be there regardless of whether the telnet server or ftp
server are installed.

Try running

rpm -qa |grep telnet

If you don't get a line something like the following then you don't have the
telnet server installed and you won't be able to telnet to your box (this is
from a Mandrake 6.1 box YMMV):

telnet-server-0.12-10mdk

I don't know what package to look for for the ftp server as I don't have
that installed at the moment.

Cheers
Scott Petersen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]