Is there some special trick to chmoding and chowning in Linux-Mandrake?
  The reason I ask is that I can't get either to work.  One partition of my
hard disk, named "/common," is dedicated to files I would like all users to
be able to share.  Unfortunately, its permissions are drwxr-xr-x.  I would
prefer them to be drwxrwxrwx.  You'd think that "chmod 777 common" would
take care of that.  When I use the chmod command, though, exactly nothing
happens.

     I also have some files which I don't think it's necessary to be root to
write to.  As it is, they belong to root, and since I can't chmod them, I
have to be root to work with them.  Normally, I'd solve this with the chown
command, but that doesn't work either.  When I try the chown command at
least something happens however: I get an error message saying "Operation
not permitted."  Apparently either chmod and chown are used differently in
Linux than in Unix, or there is something wrong with my system.  Does
anybody have any suggestions?  Thank You.  /Ian