Check in the mail archives (beginning to mid January 2000) and try
searching on Phoebe.  Ramon Gandia wrote up a nice tech page on modems
in the expert mailing list.  There were some good discussions and
recommendations on modems.  I don't remember if they were all in expert
or in both expert and newbie.