> >You have to recompile your kernel. You disable support for ide-atapi cdrom
> and
> >enable the scsi-emulation. Maybe you have also to enable the scsi support for
> >generic scsi cdrom.
> >Once you're done with your kernel and that you have booted your linux with
> it,
> >type cdrecord -scanbus to see if it recognize it. It should.
>
> Ouch.
> Can't you just load a kernel module for SCSI support?

Maybe it is possible, but the problem is that I think that you cannot have ide
cdrom support anymore enabled, as it must recognize your HP as beeing a scsi
device and not an ide cdrom during the boot process. So, I think (I'm NOT sure)
that you must rebuid a kernel at least to disable ide cdrom support.
HTH

flupke