Yes, it's been discussed before, Netscape for Linux blows and there's
not much else if you want to view flash or javascript content. I often end
up using Windows to view web pages that make Netscape crash.
As to alternatives that may be available in the future, there's Mozilla
which is entering its first beta stage, there's Konqueror (for kde users)
which should ship with kde2 and sun's hot java, along with quite a few
others most of which don't have full java support... and, yes, there's
supposed to be a port of IE in the works. However, I've heard rummors that
IE isn't quite as good under *nix (currently solaris and hp-ux) as under
windows which, frankly, doesn't surprise me.
In short, you'll have to wait a bit if you want a decent Linux browser.

DvB