Jaguar wrote:

> So what your saying is anyone who praises M$ is a M$ spy????
> (climbs up soap box)

nope.
that's not what i claim.
however, from my experience and EVERYONE ELSE i know who regularly uses M$, it is
highly
improbable that any M$ installation could ever be called 'stable', 'reliable' or
'dependable'.

> Sorry to burst your bubble...but M$ still does alot of things better than any
> 'nix does.

sure. like stock manipulation, industry-wide strong-arm negotiating tactics, code
bastardization, lying under oath and milking your wallet dry.

> Consider the uses of D3D, DVD, USB and many other devices that M$
> directly supports NOW...it is mostly in ALPHA or BETA right now for ALL
> 'nix's.

considering that a norwegian teenager wrote code for the best DVD hack out there as
opposed to
a legion of M$ employees working on provided driver source to develop their M$ apps,
yeah, i
guess i agree that 'doze takes the prize. but we both know this situation won't last
long. the
MPAA and its affiliates can't stay away from the linux market for too long. but first,
they
have to devise a way to take your money. then you'll see tons of supported software.
why would
they bother for an open-source community? and if a 16yo kid can hack into a player and
write
the decryption software just months after the encryption comes out on the market, i
think
that's just amazing. i'll take the kid over bill's army any day.

> Linux is catching up...probably about another year or so of
> development, and Linux can/will rival M$ for a larger market share of OS's.
> But until then, I notice ALOT of people sending to this list that want/need
> DUAL boot to an M$ version, or people saying they are not at their Linux box.
> So if M$ is SOOOOOOOOOO bad...why do people that swear by Linux, and swear AT M$
>continue
> using it for things like browsing, DVD, USB, printing graphics, any game that
>requires
> Direct X ( which is ALOT of the popular titles), many high end programs that have no
> equivalent in any 'nix language.

see above.
these games are written expressly for 'doze (or MAC) because:
1. the money is in the 'doze market
2. the money is not in the linux market
3. see number 1.
as far as i'm concerned, i've invested too much time in the things i did on M$ prior to
installing linux. i haven't gotten around to converting all my animations, documents,
etcetcetc. once i have the time though, it's byebye bill. that's my explanation.

> Now before everyone gets out their flame throwers...I praise Linux to alot of
> people that want something different...Mandrake in particular for it's
> install, and XWindow/KDE GUI.  But I also work in a computer store and
> see/talk too many people everyday that have problems with M$ ( _all_
> versions).  I know M$ has been lagging with NEW code, but I guess Uncle Bill
> just wants the almighty $$.

precisely.
and this is why, despite the software that they have produced which works, i cannot
stand by
M$. their motives are transparent, their ethics are compromised and their time is up.
that's my $.02

~p