At 03:06 AM 2/10/00 -0500, you wrote:
>At 01:03 AM 2/10/00 -0600, you wrote:
>>> If anyone reads this, then it should be obvious that this particular piece
>>> of software, Microsoft's Outlook Express, does work.
>
>Outlook Exploder pseudo-works. Sometimes you might manage to read a few
>messages and even get one sent off before it decides to crash. Still, I
>have a strict definition for when software really works... :-)

  If you're serious about what you're saying, then perhaps you should look
into your installation of the product. I use both Outlook and Outlook
Express, send and receive dozens if not hundreds of messages per day, and I
have yet to have it crash.
  I am having a problem with Kmail, though, with its sticking in what looks
to be a 'skeleton' of a message, with no entries in the 'to' or 'from'
fields, the date is way in the past, and I get the indicator that there's
new mail - a (1), for instance - that is impossible to get rid of, unless I
choose the option to empty the folder.

>>> And, while it may be
>>> fun and amusing to come up with different spellings, abbreviations,
>acronyms
>>> and so on, does the constant bashing of Microsoft serve any purpose?
>
>Are you kidding? It's necessary to ensure nobody forgets or fails to
>realize how evil Microsoft is, and how unusable and generally cruddy their
>softgware is... It's a duty and a responsibility for all of us who have
>seen and experienced what Microsoft and its software does, and have also
>experienced the alternative.

  Sorry, but "evil"? Sure, this is a fun bit of 'street theatre' to act out
in front of outsiders, to get their attention, but it seems to be
unnecessary here. Sure, I've had my fill of the Blue Screen of Death, the
effects of Bloatware and so on, but I wouldn't classify the MS software
that I use, as "unusable". Unstable, prone to security violations, sure,
but they are usable.

>--
>   .*.  "Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, coastlines are not
>-()  <  circles, and bark is not smooth, nor does lightning travel in a
>        -- B. Mandelbrot  |http://surf.to/pgd.net [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Programmer & Humanist|ICQ: 10423848|

Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY