On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, vishal bansal wrote:
> Hi folks;
>
> I am using linux mandrake 6.1. As a user I cannot write to files, but as a
> root I can. How do I assign permissions for the users to do so?

As a general rule, users are only allowed to write to files within the
$HOME and subdirectories.  This makes good sense from a security point
of view; that is why you seldom see *nix viruses.
        To change permissions, "man chmod".  BUT, be aware of the
security implication before going about it blindly.  There are lots of
directories that users SHOULDN'T be allowed write access.  Not only are
there security implications, this should prevent "fingering problems".
        Imagine a user issuing "\rm -r *" from /.
End preaching mode.