Daniel Boyd wrote:

> > What's happening is that X is using the SVGA driver and putting you in
> > 640x480 or else using double scan.  Try running XConfigurator to
> > re-detect your video and monitor.  Sometimes even when a card is
> > supported it does this.  Then you have to manually edit the
> > configuration file.  What card do you have?
> >

> i have a 32 meg nvidia tnt agp card
>
> i also have no idea how to do basially anything in linux.... but i cant
> really learn at this resolution :)
>
> cheers
>
> daniel

exit out of KDE.  Log in as root to command prompt.  Enter:
XConfigurator

That should let you reconfigure your card.  If you still get the large
screen, backup your XF86Config file (I don't have a linux box here, but
the location is something like /etc/X11/XF86Config) by changing to the
directory where the XF86Config file is and using cp:
cd /etc/X11
ls XF86Config
cp XF86Config XF86Config.save

Then use an editor to remove the refreshes that you don't want or that
don't apply.  Toward the bottom, there will be a section for your video
card/display.  Change the order of the "640x480" "800x600" etc lines to
have the resolution you want to start in be the first set of numbers.
You might want to try different things one at a time and keep multiple
copies that you save as you go along.  Use:
startx
at the command line to go into KDE and see what you get each time.  If
KDE locks up or you can't find a way to get out, then use
Control+Alt+Backspace to kill it and get back to the command prompt.

Someone that has your card working might be nice enough to send you a
copy of the config file that works for them if you can't get it going.