--

Joerg Reinhardt

Döllbachstraße 15
34127 Kassel
Germany

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Im having an old, scrappy Pentium 75MgHz, but a relal huge hard drive:
13,6GB  (well at least for that CPU and BIOS it is huge, cause the BIOS is
supposed to take harddrives not bigger than 2.something gigs) There was no
smaller drive to buy anywhere, so I was forced to update BIOS (brought it
to recognise 8.6gigs) and using an on disc trak manager (it's located in
the BIOS of the harddrive itself), for getting the rest of it readable
without limitation via Jumper settings. That manager does mightyly speed
down, the performance of my machine! Unfortionally I chose "install all"
at the installation process (just to see what is included in Linux, not to
use stuff like an DNS!), because there is no space problem at all on my
drive (and propably never will be).

Now it occured to me, that all those Services, Servers and Daemons that I
don't need at all, are launched as well while booting. I do know how to
inactivate them (at least I think so), but I dare to swich something off,
that I need, cause all those Names of Daemons, services and servers are
quite cryptical for me, as a newbie!

Joerg