I have also been unsuccessful solving a problem I am experiencing when
trying to start up Unreal Tournament or Quake3.
                    Kfm error...Unknown host in http://./Quake3   or UT
depending on the one I'm trying to start.
                                                       Mandrake 7.0,
/usr/local/games/Quake3

Both installs went well, without any warnings or error messages. I
changed the host name using linuxconf with no glory. I'm thinking it's
probably some misconfigured internal port # or IP address but besides
probably being wrong about that I am to anxios to do some fraggin' Linux
syle to not ask for a hand on this one.

Thanks....for the 2nd time
Larry C