They are switches.

They alter the output you get back from various commands.

For axample

ls -a     =    directory listing of ALL files (includes all files beginning with
'.')
ls -l     =    Give me the list in 'long' format
ls -al    =    Give me that list again, in long format and shaw ALL files too

try

man ls

for full details on the shit-load of switches the ls command has, and then try
the same for other stuff like ps, grep, find, awk, gcc, etc. etc. etc......

Steve Flynn
IBM MVS Operations Analyst

"Andy Foote" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 12/02/2000 23:42:35

Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hey...what do the -r , -s, -n things mean?  i know there are more....could
someone explain them to me?
Hey...what do the -r , -s, -n things mean?  i know there are more....could someone explain them to me?