To all who replied:

I must send a big THANK YOU to all that recently replied  to my modem woes.  I
had to finally just go over to my friends house and try the tips that you all
sent me.  I found that "dmesg" is a very useful command.  We used that to see
if he was getting errors and found that the modem was not set up properly from
just seeing that log.  It was a very simple "fix" to get it working.  But arent
all of the problems simple.  It seems that we ourselves tend to complicate
things more than they really are.  Microsoft has, in a sense, damaged all of
our minds.  But mine is making progress with leaps and bounds since I have seen
the light in Linux.

Maxtor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.maxtors.com