Lawrence,
I'm not real clued in on Lothar Soundconfig, but your error message looks
familiar. When I do 'modprobe ppa' as user to load the module for my zip, I get
an error that looks similar. when I do 'modprobe ppa' as root, no problems. If
you aren't doing your config as root, you might give that a try and see if that
gets you past this error.
Lance