On 13-Mar-2000 Ryan Drafall wrote:
> Tom Berger wrote:
>
>> On 11-Mar-2000 Ryan Drafall wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> >     The subject pretty much says it all.  Whenever I open a new window,
>> > whatever the program may be, it always opens in a window that is
>> > off-center on the screen.  How do I make it automatically maximize?
>> > Thanks for your help.
>> >
>> > --
>> >####################
>> >     Ryan Drafall
>> >   gAIM S/N: Twygg1
>> >  Linux 2.2.14-15mdk
>> >####################
>> >

>> This depends on the app you are starting, if you are starting the program
>> anew
>> or open another window (e.g. a new Netscape window).
>> Tell me which apps you mean and I will try to give you an example, if it's
>> possible (it is in many cases, but requires some fiddling about).
>>
>> tom
>>
>> --
>> "No fun, no gain"
>> Thomas 'tom' Berger, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (home), [EMAIL PROTECTED] (work)
>> http://www.mandrakeuser.org, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Thanks for responding to my question.  First of all, whenever I start
> Netscape (in
> a new process), it NEVER opens in a maximized window.  Also, when I'm in
> Netscape
> and let's say I right-click on a link and choose OPEN IN NEW WINDOW, the new
> window that gets created also NEVER opens maximized.  It gets really annoying
> after a while.  I also notice that all the other programs in WindowMaker do
> the
> same thing...that is, opening in an UNmaximized window.  Thanks for your
> help.
> Ryan.

You can set this (I think!) via entries in the .Xdefaults file in your
home directory. This requires quite some man-page reading and fiddling about.

It's a bit different with Netscape, though. An entry in .Xdefaults like this:

Netscape.Navigator.geometry: =1024x768-0-0

will open every Navigator window at 1024x768. If that is your current screen
resolution, this will be fullscreen. If you use another screen resolution,
change this.

If you've made the changes, save the file and run

xrdb -merge ./Xdefaults

This loads the XResources data anew. Restart Netscape to see if it works.

More Netscape Xressources are at

http://www.linux.com/tuneup/database.phtml/X11/Netscape/000112.html

Conventional X programs like xterm usually take command line parameters like
'-geometry'. Read the man pages.

Happy playing ;-)

tom

P.S.: More Netscape hacks are at