Friends,

I appreciate the help offered here.

I have been trying to install Mandrake 7.0 without success. I have tried
booting from CD; booting DOS, then switching to CD and using
autoboot.bat; I've tried a boot disk made with cdrom.img. In all cases,
things go OK till the message:

     "CDROM ---  Initializing CDROM
      -- in second stage install -- "

     (CD lights briefly, then no more; cursor just flashes and
     stalls.)

I have downloaded the new autoboot.bat from the "FAQ, last minute
changes" web page. Not sure I handled this right, the instructions were
not clear to me, but I renamed the file as patch.pl, saved it to the
boot disk, then when the boot prompt came up, instead of pressing
<ENTER>, I typed  "Linux patch." This worked differently: I got an eror
message at the point things usually stall, saying that some characters
were in the wrong place and some things that were expected were not
found.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
-- Chris Joyner