I am using roadrunner here.  The way it works here is as follows:
 - if you are using the older Zenith modems, then you have a static Ip
 - if you are using the newer Toshiba modems you dhcp.

The newer modems are needed to allow port enabling (ie.. outside access) to
your computer.

It is not really a problem, I have DHCp but have has the same IP for several
months.