On Apr 25, Jaguar wrote:
> Wow...a bunch of whiner's!!! (although a 2 MB file is quite large)

Oh, you think so?  Considering most list mail is <3Kb, I'd say 2.8Mb is pretty
dang big!

> If your ISP connect is so bad ie: crappy ISP, worse phone lines, or a 28.8
> modem...all of these can be fixed  fairly easily...the easiest would be to but
> a $40.00 hardware modem from Cirrus Logic or some other Co., and probably sign
> with a new ISP...even the phone lines can be upgraded if you complain to your
> TelCO enuff.

How generous of you to spend my money!  My old 14.4Kbps modem works just fine
for the vast majority of the mail I get from my ISP.  Most of the time I get
my mail while at work (56Kbps), but not in the evenings and on the weekend.

Besides, why should I upgrade or change anything when the common-sense
netiquette says not to post binary-type info to a textual maling list.  Ditto
for the common newsgroups.

> But some of you even complain about a 1 or 2 K HTML/business card attachment,
> as a "waste of bandwidth"....do some of you have 2400 modems still????  When I
> think that excessively (4 lines of text or more) long sig files or
> advertisments for web pages NOT even your own, or people that add "Ya me too"
> or some such thing to an already long thread, is in reality a total waste of
> everyone's time.  I don't really care to see 4 or more lines in a sig file as
> it is usually a banal quote from someone long dead, or even worse...unheard
> of.  Some of the sig's I have seen make NO sense what so ever?????

Wait a minute.  Are you saying that 1-2K HTML attachments are just fine, but
.sig files >4 lines are offensive?  If that *is* what you are saying, then I
guess to you it all just depends on whose ox is gored.  I guess if you hadn't
liked the audio file, then you'd be all up-in-arms against the guy.

-Michael

--
No, my friend, the way to have good and safe government, is not to trust it
all to one, but to divide it among the many, distributing to every one exactly