Hello out there,

my PC's Motherboard has a VIA / Apollo MPV4 Chipset (VT82Cxxx something).
Has anyone succeeded in making the sound work ?

I have tried with "sndconfig" - it sees a SB compatible device, but reports
errors saying "Device busy".  Same upon reboot, when the sound drivers
are being loaded, it says "failed to initialize: Device busy".
I think it is a question of correct initialization / resetting of the device,
because under Windoze I never get such errors.

Has anyone out there such a chipset and made it work under Linux ?

I know there are commercial packages such ass OSS/OpenSound
which would support that device, but I'd prefer the free Linux stuff
before spending money for commercial drivers.

Best regards and thank you for any help,

DJ.
Switzerland / Europe.