Bruce Hilliker wrote:

> Jon;
>
>     Hate to tell ya, but that doesn't work.  Once I've followed you instructions and
> click on my newly made cd icon; I get the following message:
>
>   KFM error - could not mount
>   mount: can't find /dev/sr0 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
>
> There's something wrong with the way linux is sensing my devices - this is my "fstab"
>
> /dev/hda1 /mnt/DOS_hda1 vfat user,exec,conv=binary 0 0
> /dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0
> /dev/hda6 / ext2 defaults 1 1
> /mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount fs=vfat,dev=/dev/fd0 0 0
> none /proc proc defaults 0 0
> none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
> /mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom 0 0
> /mnt/cdrom2 /mnt/cdrom2 supermount fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom2 0 0
>
> This is my "dmesg" (only part of it), this is about half way thru;
>
> PCI_IDE: unknown IDE controller on PCI bus 00 device 39, VID=1022, DID=7409
> PCI_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
>     ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
>     ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
> hda: WDC WD136BA, ATA DISK drive
> hdb: IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI, ATAPI FLOPPY drive
> hdc: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1302, ATAPI CDROM drive
> hdd: CD-RW CRX100E, ATAPI CDROM drive
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
> hda: WDC WD136BA, 13042MB w/1961kB Cache, CHS=1662/255/63
> hdc: ATAPI 40X DVD-ROM drive, 256kB Cache
> Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.56
> Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
>
> This is the of "dmesg"
>
> scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
> scsi : 1 host.
>   Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP 100           Rev: 14.A
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
> Detected scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
>   Vendor: SONY      Model: CD-RW  CRX100E    Rev: 1.0m
>   Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
> sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
> SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 196608 [96 MB] [0.1 GB]
> sda: Write Protect is off
>  sda: sda4
>
> It (Linux) is setting my 2nd CDROM and ZIP drive as a SCSI device; which, they are
> not.
>
> Any ideas?  Thanks for the response -  after working with Windoze for sooooo
> looonnnngggg, I'm not used to getting such great help - you guy's/gal's are GREAT!
>My
> system runs SO MUCH better under linux.  It's too bad that I have so many clients
> using Windoze.  Another story.
>
> Thanks again and appreciate all the help!
>
> NewBEE - Bruce :-)
>
> Jon wrote:
>
> > Now that you know how to mount it, the rest is cake.
> >
> > If you are using kde for your desktop: Right click the desktop and choose new, file
> > system device.
> [...]

This is a feature, not a bug...

lol

Ok, problem here is ide-scsi emulation.  This IS a feature and a bug.  The feature is
that all the software for cd burners doesn't understand all the new IDE burners.  So
they
said "Well, if we fake 'em out and pretend that nasty ol' drive is scsi and everything
will work."  Unfortunately, they forgot to update the fstab.  Found the bug, ya did!

Fix the fstab an' all will be well.

replace    /mnt/cdrom2 /mnt/cdrom2 supermount fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom2 0 0
with         /mnt/cdrom2 /mnt/cdrom2 supermount fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/sr0 0 0

If that doesn't work try

/dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrw iso9660 defaults,noauto 0 0

if you want users to be able to mount & umount it then

/dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrw iso9660 defaults,noauto,users 0 0