Lance Borden wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > OK, now for my NEWBY question, I did the 'insmod parport' and 'insmod
> > ppa' then 'mount -t vfat /dev/sda4 /mnt/ZIP'.  The message comes back as
> > "mount: the kernel does not recognize  /dev/sda4 as a block device
> >         (maybe 'insmod driver'?)"
> >
> > Where would I find a driver?
> >

> You might first try 'modprobe ppa' instead of 'insmod...'
> Seems like when I was setting up my zip drive, they said the command had
> changed. I'm running mdk6.1. Also, you can do 'lsmod' after modprobe to get a
> list of installed modules -- naturally, you should see them in the list.
> Finally, for my purposes, I only need 'modprobe ppa' and not parport (however, I
> do notice that doing 'modprobe ppa' will install the parport module -- strange,
> huh? Or maybe it's all bundled together now, I don't know!).
> Lance

Use modprobe.  To see what modprobe will do you can look at the configuration
file.  Named modules.dep

locate modules.dep

use lsmod to see what modules are loaded.

use fdisk /dev/sda to see partition table on disk

It is possible the kernel you have loaded has no support for modules.  That kernel
is on the disk and MANY people on this newsgroup have it loaded and wonder why
things don't work...