I thought you meant disable OS initialization of plug 'n play and enable
bios initialization (this is in the install guide). Anyway, I got things
working. I reinstalled with a fresh install instead of an upgrade, then
ran sndconfig from an xterm instead of from Konsole (bios initialization
of pnp is still on). Everything now works
fine. Thanks to all for your help.

Now onto the next problem...

Idris