Here are the main steps to share your internet connection :

First thing to do : setup your LAN. While you can't ping any machine
from any other machine, you'll be in trouble.

Then : setup your gateway's second network card so that your gateway can
access the internet, as if it was a simple machine connected to the net.
(setting up a NIC on a linux machine is easy with the netconf program.)

And now comes the time to share your connection :
enable the forwarding on your gateway : echo 1 >
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
Tell your kernel to forward and masq the messages : ipchains -P forward
MASQ

On the other machines on the LAN, define your default gateway as to be
your LAN's gateway (192.168.1.1) and set your DNS to your ISP's
provider. (in Win 98, this is done in the network-properties.)

Now, it should work. Perform the following test (in that order)
from your gateway :

ping [your.default.ISP.gateway]
  If it doesn't work, your NIC is not properly set up.

ping 198.182.196        (this is the ip adress of www.linux.org)
  If it doesn't work, your default gateway is not properly set up. This
is easily corrected by typing 'route add default gw
[your.default.ISP.gateway]'

from a window machine :

ping 192.168.1.1
  If it doesn't work, the problem is on your LAN. Ping each machine to
itself to see where is the problem

ping 24.112.141.188
  If it doesn't work, check that the default gateway on your windows
machine is set to 192.168.1.1 and that your gateway's outside NIC (the
one connected to internet) is properly set up.

ping [your.ISP.default.gateway]
  If it doesn't work, the problem comes from the sharing. on your
gateway, type 'ipchains -L' to check that the default rule for
forwarding is MASQ. Type 'cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward' to check
that it is set to 1. If it isn't type again 'echo 1
>/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward'

If you succeed until here, it means that your connection is shared.
You're done!

If you still encounter problems, they surely come from your DNS
settings, or something like that.

HTH
Flupke