Jon wrote:

> Pak Wing wrote:
>
> > This is a strange one.  I managed to install StarOffice fine as root.
> >
> > As root, you're meant to have permissions for everything!
> >
> > I didn't do "/bin/sh" though.  running under bash worked fine.
> >
> > Pak
> >
> > Monte Milanuk wrote:
> >
> > > I have a Sun Microsystems StarOffice 5.1 CD that if I recall right came
> > > bundled w/ my RH 6.1.  I would like to install and use this w/ my
> > > Mandrake 7.0 install, but when I mount the cdrom and cd to the
> > > directory, either as root or otherwise, I receive this error:
> > >
> > > [monte@ishamael]$ /bin/sh
> > > [monte@ishamael]$ ./setup
> > > sh: ./setup: Permission Denied
> > > [monte@ishamael]$
> > >
> > > As I said, the error is the same whether I try it as a regular user or
> > > as root.  I have the partition mounted using settings in /etc/fstab of
> > >
> > > /dev/hdd        /mnt/cdrom/     iso9660 user,noauto,ro  0 0
> > >
> > > rather than that supermount stuff (Yuck!).  I have a hunch that the
> > > issue may be tied to the permissions set when I mount the cdrom, but the
> > > problem seems to persist regardless of whether I mount the CD as root
> > > from the command line, or as 'monte' from an icon in KDE. Any ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks for your time,
> > >
> > > Monte

> > > Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
> > > http://im.yahoo.com
>
> Looking at the man page for mount and at your fstab makes me wonder if maybe
> you should add exec to your options.
>
> /dev/hdd        /mnt/cdrom/     iso9660 user,noauto,ro,exec  0 0
>
> Also, if you are going to install staroffice might I suggest the Admin
> install?
>
> I believe the command is
>
> ./setup -net
>
> This allows you to run a base copy from any user you might have  Read the dox
> for some reasons why this might be a good idea.
>
> My setup is /Office51  owned by root  and set readonly for all including
> root.  (Could be written to CD!)
> each user has about 3-5 meg of files and a link to this directory.  I can try
> different Distros or upgrade this one without affecting my Office51

Yep.  That did it.  Thank you very much.  Now I just need to get my
Corel WordPerfect 8 CD to work...  anyway, for those who are reading,
the one thing that did hang me up a while (w/ the StarOffice setup) is
that I would go to setup as the user, and it would prompt me to put the
files in /home/monte/Office51.  Fine, did that.  Then, when I ran the
/home/monte/Office51/bin/soffice script, it would setup things and try
to install files to /home/monte/Office51... Oops!  Had to run the
initial setup as root, installed to /usr/local/Office51, then ran
/usr/local/Office51/bin/soffice as 'monte' to set up the files needed in
/home/monte/Office51.

Another StarOffice question:  What's up w/ the 'install-kde' script?  It
copies basically everything in the entire filesystem (/, /mnt, /usr,
/bin/, yadayada) to /~/.kde/share/  What's up w/ that?  Takes forever,
for one, very questionable for two.  Any ideas?

Monte