John N wrote:

> I installed, from scratch, Mandrake 7.
>
> It took 2.75 HOURS - usually takes 35 minutes.
>
> The system is now glacially s-l-o-w  with far too much hard drive activity.
>
> It is also reporting a 2.2GB hard drive as about 5GB  !!
>
> Have I activated any compression system, like the DOS DoubleDisk, by mistake?
>
> I have to have sendmail configured and running by morning so please H-E-L-P !!!

Reminds me of a friend's machine when 528meg maxtors were being sold, fdisk messed
up and put in a partition that claimed to be about 4 terra bytes...  He ran with
it for a while that way.  We always held breath while booting.

I would wipe it and start over.  Remove all partitions.  Go into the bios and
check the size listed there.  Reboot and then reinstall.  Or at least run fdisk -l
/dev/hda (or whatever your drive is) to make sure the partition is right.