Christian Brink wrote:

> 2. VMWARE -
>         ~ $300

$ 99 for non-commercial use, unsupported except via rather good online
manuals and faqs.

>         commercial license
>         Commercial support
>         A wide range of supported options

Recently released 2.0 version much better, more stable and faster

>         You must have a windows license

TRUE, if installing windows, but may also use this tool to experiment
with other linux distros, *bsd, etc.

>         You must repartion your drive to support both OS's

FALSE. Runs just fine using virtual partitions which are files in the
host OS. Use of separate partitions and spindles is rather tricky
actually, depending on the combo of host and guest OS's.

>         Large RAM requirement (IMO)

Any modern OS likes lots of RAM - even Linux with X, which will run (s l
o w l y) in 16M, really likes 64 and up for running multiple apps and
compiles without too much thrashing. My setup is Mandrake 7.0 for normal
use, with Win2K running in a VM for those windows gotta's, like Word for
writing books, etc.

>         Expensive (IMO)

And not "free" in any (beer or speech) sense of the word. But it works.
Worth every penny if you need it. It was worth every penny just for
being able to play with multiple distros without having to get a new HD
or trash my existing and extremely stable configuration.

.bilbrey (from the VMware'd Win2K Netscape 4.72)
__
Brian Bilbrey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.orbdesigns.com