>I have installed a mandrake 7.0 with a net card and i know that it works
>well because I can ping the rest of the computers (all of them are built in
>win NT and win 9X.). But I donīt know how to see them and their shared
>folders. I try to open the netscape but it shows me a message that I donīt
>understand well. By the other hand when I try to see the linux computer in a
>windows one only sometimes I find it making a "find PC" but when I go to
>open it Iīm asked for a name and password but Iīm never recogniced nor root
>nor nobody.
>I know that all those tthings are made by samba but I canīt find samba in my
>Linux... I dontīt know if I have to install it ( in that case plase tell me
>how to do) or where find it. I only know that if I type samba in a terminal
>I can start the services.... but I donīt know any more.
>Please help me to set up my Linux in a lan to share folders and to see my
>domain.
>Thanks a lot.
>Luis.

Hi,

the configuration file for samba is "/etc/smb.conf".
You may edit this by hand or use "swat", itīs a config-tool you access
through your webbrowser. Do "man swat" for information about this.
To restart the samba services after changes to configuration, do "/etc/rc.d/
init.d/smb restart" as root.
There is a section about samba in the printed manual of the Mandrake
powerpack. The "SMB-HOWTO" is also very very helpful. Youīll find everything
explained there. Have a closer look at chapter 6 where the use of passwords
is explained.

Cheers,
Ove