> I hate to say it (again), but this is absolutely correct. To gain
> widespread acceptance any Linux distribution *MUST* have a good browser,
> a good email package, and (oh no! here it comes!) support Winmodems, ...
> ugh, Linmodems!

This is quite true, sadly. Kmail is great for my simple uses, but I know that
many people would find it lacking and want outlook back. But there is some
email client, whose name I just forgot, that is suposed to be quite similar to
Outlook. But as of yet it's not far enough along to even be able to release any
version yet.

And Mozilla is promising on the browser front. I still like IE better, but
Netscape 6 is a huge improvement over Netscape 4.7 for me.

To expand on the modem idea, Linux also needs to get an AOL port too if it
wants to get really really big. Of course, the kinds of people who use AOL
aren't usuallly the kind of people who use Linux, at least right now.

> Anything short of this and it's a sideshow in the big market place.
> Sure, you'll get people like me stuffing it into server rooms to do all
> kinds of stuff. But we'll never tell the pointy haired boss.

The one thing Linux needs to get accepted to the PHB is Office. Everyone and
their mother uses that in business, and while there are programs to read and
write .doc files, there just isn't anything better than actually having the
original program to write and read with. And then they're all those
inconsistancies with the other formats of the MS Office package.

--
Anthony Huereca
http://m3000.1wh.com