Donald Carpenter wrote:

> If your familiar with DOS, There's a a good book you can buy.
> It's called "Unix for dos users" by Martin R. Arick
> I bought my copy at a local bookstore.
> It's very helpful

I'ld suggest Linux or Unix in a Nutshell, from O'Reilly.  I never needed
a book like "Unix for dos users", "Unix for  dummies", or any of that
kind of material, but  the Nutshell books are definitely worthwhile for
beginners.

Also, try running

            xman

This tool brings up a  gui for man pages with nicely formatted or laid
out categories.

cp = copy

rm = remove or del or delete

mv = move or rename

cd = chdir

ls = dir (but there are many options so check the man page, "man ls")

ls -F = ls with / and @ and * at the ends of names of directories,
symbolic links and executables

ls -l = ls with long listing format

df = filesystem space usage and availability as well as mapping

du = disk space usage

etcetera

The Nutshell books are worthwhile.  I haven't looked at the one for Linux
and haven't needed it, because I have the one for Unix, plus know about
the various sources of free documentation, but compare the two and
purchase the  one which seems most suitable.

mike