Hi,

I am not at my machine just now but I think that the hosts.allow and
hosts.deny are ok, I saw some help on one of the mandrakeusers pages
which explained what to put in these files.

I eventually gave up last night, but one thing I did try was to use
telnet -debug on a different port.  For example, telnet -debug 3000 and
then I connected from a terminal session:
telnet localhost 3000 - this allowed me to connect!  It seems that there
may be a conflict on port 23 - I am not too sure how to correct this or
to check what is running on port 23.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your reply.

Tom

Ove Peter wrote:

> Tom,
>
> what did you write in  "/etc/hosts.allow" and "/etc/hosts.deny"?
>
> Ove
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >Thank you very much for your mail.  The problem that I am having is that
> >there
> >does not seem to be any good information on setting up your network on
> >mandrake.  I am thinking of going back to RedHat.
> >
> >You were right I did not have the telnet server installed - I installed this
> >but
> >am still getting the same message.  Do you know if there is a website with
> >some
> >information on trouble shooting networks with mandrake?
> >
> >Thanks again,
> >Tom
> >
> >Alex V Flinsch wrote:

> >> Most likely, you installed the telnet cliend and not the telnet server.
> >They
> >> were split into 2 separate rpm's a few releases ago.
> >>
> >> Check your distro disk, and install telnet-server
> >>
> >>  --
> >> Alex
> >> (Go easy on me, I'm a COBOL programmer in real life)

Tom Cattigan                    | Progress Software Europe B.V.
Senior Tech Support Engineer    | Technical Service Center for
Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]         | Europe, Middle East & Africa
Phone : +31 (0)10-2865-222      | Schorpioenstraat 67, 3067 GG
Fax   : +31 (0)10-2865-225      | P.O. box 8644, 3009 AP
URL   : http://www.progress.com | Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Technical support for Europe, Middle East & Africa:
Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Do you want to log and monitor your own support calls? Then visit
http://techweb.progress.com