J D wrote:

> dude, don't worry about leading me into more problems.  i'll try anything
> that might work.  i'm a newbie, and if it means having to get expert help,
> then i might just format my hard drive and start over.

Done that before ample times.  I never participated in lists like this until
recently, and went through install failure and reinstall attempts, until I knew
that the problem wasn't due to the local dude or machine, that I had done
absolutely nothing wrong, and later learned through mags and reviews that I
wasn't alone.

However, today, Linux distributions are more mature; therefore, restarting the
install process is surely worth a try.  This has happened to me before, where
an initial attempt at installing didn't work, but a subsequent one did.  The
most stubborn portion of the installs that finally worked, but which failed in
this particular step, was creating boot floppies in the final step(s) of the
install process.  However, as long as the rest of the install works, then boot
floppies can be created after booting up the system, from the root login shell,
using mkbootdisk, or dd, albeit mkbootdisk automates the process; although,
basically only requiring a little less reading.

My experiences were with Slackware in 95, WGS in 97 (never got that one
installed because there was a defect in the cdrom install), and since then RH.
Based on all of the people exchanging in these mailing lists, Mandrake is
installable, so give it another try.  You shouldn't need to reformat your hdd;
although, you may need to recreate your Mandrake partitions and filesystems.

Give the install another try.  If you're installing to the second hdd, then
this might possibly cause problems with respect to the /boot filesystem, if
you're also placing it on the second hdd.  This shouldn't happen, but might.

If you install everything on the second hdd, then you'll want to place LILO on
the first hdd, or create a boot floppy for sure.

If you're using large HDDs, and the second attempt at install fails, then you
might find useful information in the Large Disk HOWTO, of the LDP, at

http://www.linuxdoc.org

mike