J D wrote:

> yeah, you're right.  i'm gonna e-mail an expert list about this.  the only
> problem is that i'm so short on time (who would have thought becoming an
> engineer would require so much time??? ;) ).  man, i picked a bad time to
> install linux.  wait, there's never a bad time to get away from the
> frustrating blue screen of death every time you go to compile code you just
> wrote.  too bad i can't submit my programming homework in unix.  damn this
> university's use of windows!

Speak with your professor(s).  I don't see why they'ld prevent you from doing
your homework with Linux.

The school should be unbiased in this respect, unless your program is MCSE or
something specific to MS.  If it's a general university program, then the profs
would need to be dorks for refusing valid work done on Linux.

Linux is growing in use and popularity, and is based on and very similar to
Unix in many respects, with Unix being a platform used considerably in
industry; more important than MS anyway.  If you were in a MIS program,
specializing in office computing, then MS would be understandable, albeit Linux
will become competitive in this area, too.  For engineering, I'm surprised
they're not using a Unix variant, albeit many engineering firms began
converting much of their infrastructure to MS a couple or few years ago, but
only due to pricing, as far as I was told and know (now, MS Windows 2000 Server
is expensive, albeit Windows 2000 WS may be less expensive than Unix WSs, but
certainly not less expensive than Linux).

If you'ld really like to be able to do your work with Linux, then ask, before
jumping to absolute conclusions.  If the school's not going to give you a MCSE,
then the school shouldn't have any moral right to prevent you from using
Linux.  If the profs refuse and you have a few more years of schooling
involved, then you might consider contesting and appealing to the next higher
level of the court.

Maybe your profs don't know Unix or Linux, and they might use this as a basis
to refuse work done on Linux, but that's only a lazy approach, instead of a
moral one.  They should encourage students to use Linux, because schooling is
already expensive enough without needing to purchase expensive OSs, like
Windows 2000.

mike