Steve....what is it you don't understand about the error
messages you've received from the BootMagic installation?

As a guess I'd probably go with #1 as the reason.  Which is that
your windows partition (the one that you're trying to install
BootMagic on) is larger than 8 meg (8 meg on today's drives, is
the size that corresponds with the 1024 cylinder limit), so
BootMagic cannot (will not) install.

One solution is to shrink your windows partition down to around
8 meg (so that it ends on the 1023rd cylinder or less).

Or alternately, you could move your windows partition a little
bit so that there's some free space at the beginning of your
drive and make a dos partition (fat16), install dos, and install
the dos version of BootMagic.  I have a drive like this, it
contains a 200 meg dos partition at the very beginning of the
drive (with dos versions of Partition Magic and BootMagic
installed) and then two different distro's of Linux.

The other reason (#2 BootMagic already installed on a hidden
partition) is far less likely to be the cause.

Concerning the ATA/66 controller, I've no experience with it.  I
do believe that there is a solution though, I'm just unfamiliar
with it.

Alan