Alan Shoemaker wrote:

> Steve....what is it you don't understand about the error
> messages you've received from the BootMagic installation?
>
> As a guess I'd probably go with #1 as the reason.  Which is that
> your windows partition (the one that you're trying to install
> BootMagic on) is larger than 8 meg (8 meg on today's drives, is
> the size that corresponds with the 1024 cylinder limit), so
> BootMagic cannot (will not) install.
>
> One solution is to shrink your windows partition down to around
> 8 meg (so that it ends on the 1023rd cylinder or less).
>
> Or alternately, you could move your windows partition a little
> bit so that there's some free space at the beginning of your
> drive and make a dos partition (fat16), install dos, and install
> the dos version of BootMagic.  I have a drive like this, it
> contains a 200 meg dos partition at the very beginning of the
> drive (with dos versions of Partition Magic and BootMagic
> installed) and then two different distro's of Linux.
>
> The other reason (#2 BootMagic already installed on a hidden
> partition) is far less likely to be the cause.
>
> Concerning the ATA/66 controller, I've no experience with it.  I
> do believe that there is a solution though, I'm just unfamiliar
> with it.
>
> Alan
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > First I'll state my current system configuration:
> >
> > Gateway 700MHz PIII, 192MB PC100, IBM DeskStar 27.4GB running on Promise PCI
> > ATA/66 Controller Card, 32MB nVidia GeForce 256, Soundblaster Live!
> >
> > I am currently running into two problems during installation of Mandrake 7.0.
> >
> > The First:  After partitioning my drive using Partition Magic to a 4.084GB
> > partition for Linux, I try to install BootMagic.  The intallation within
> > Windows gives me an error message to the effect of: BootMagic Installation
> > cannot complete because: 1. There is no FAT16 or FAT32 partition available
> > under the 1024 cylinder or, 2. BootMagic is already installed on a hidden
> > partition.  Any ideas?
> >
> > The Second, more important problem:  When running the DrakX installation
> > utillity from CD-ROM I get to the drive mounting point, only to find that
> > Linux is not recognizing my drive (I suspect this is because my hdd is
> > running from the ATA/66 Controller) I have tried all the drivers listed and
> > none of them will work. Also I found some instructions geared for Red Hat 6.1
> > where you enter "text" at the boot: prompt and make changes manually.
> > Mandrake 7 gives me the message, unable to locate kernel image "text".
> >
> > Is anyone willing to give me detailed instructions on how to fix this?  I
> > have never even seen Linux running except for screenshots, so please explain
> > in plain terms.
> >
> > Thanks very much!
> >
> > Steve Gillson
> > "DJ Phrenzy"
Steve,

There is a driver for the Promise Card, but it must be used
post-install, The install kernel does not support Ultra DMA Mode
4 (ATA/66).  There are various reasons for this, but the largest
one looming is that the advanced pentium code has uncovered all
sorts of timing flaws in big name brand drives, and they will
destroy your data reliably or give you "lost interrupt" errors
running under 586 code and Ultra-66.  Your IBM dirve is one of
the few and the rare that have the timing right to the
specifications.

The trick on the Boot Magic is to make a small partition (like 10
Mb) below the 8Gb limit of the 1024 cylinder limitation of BIOS
code and call it /boot.  Mandrake will install the kernel there
for booting and point to root directory from there.  Then Boot
Magic can see the boot area for linux.  The partition must be of
file type ext2 (standard linux).  If you have a huge Windows
partition, then you will need to use a tool to reduce it or split
it or move it up the disk enough to get the /boot partition the
first 1024 cylinders.

Civileme