I'm an almost-newbie (nothing installed yet) who discovered Linux through
the Maximum Linux magazine.  I liked what I read on the included Mandrake CD
(the Install Guide and Manual are in HTML, and thus accessible) and went out
and bought the Mandrake7Deluxe package [sick & tired of Win98 BSOD & other
problems]. It also had a Stormix distribution CD, and the LILO screenshot in
the magazine looked more workable for me than other LILO screenshots I've
seen.  Someone in this newbie forum had written a question about using the
Stormix LILO with Mandrake, and I've been watching for a reply (I'm sorry I
deleted that message); since I haven't seen one, I wanted to raise some
related issues and hopefully stir a response:
    Issue 1)  My kids will use my machine to boot Windows and I need a very
simple way to select boot o/s at least until I can look into alternatives,
buttons would be best for my 6 yr.old.  [I am aware of only VMware and WINE,
please suggest others.]
    Issue 2)  How inter-operable are the various Linux "flavors"?  Are we
talking "hangs" or "bugs" if trying elements from other Linux flavors on
Mandrake?  And there's the whole issue of recovery from mistakes with such
trials.
    Issue 3)  How are DPKG software packages handled on an RPM system like
Mandrake?  Indeed, are they at all?  Would the Stormix LILO be on the CD in
another form, since we're dealing with an incomplete system at the point
during the install that LILO is configured?  Do I really want to even do this
at all?
    Thanks to everybody!
Gary