Paul wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Now I am in need of an answer.
> I have /usr and /home as subdirectories on the / (root) partition. This is
> a 1.6 Gb partition.
> Now I got 2 large partitions extra available, 4 and 4.5 Gb. I want to move
> /usr to one of them, and /home to the other one.
> These extra partitions now are called /b1 and /b2.
> Can someone tell me how I should go about with this, without messing up my
> entire system?
>
> Thanks for the help and advice you can give me.
> Paul

First of all, if you're not confident with linux, read the whole mail
before proceeding, and make sure you understand everything (if you
don't, read the related man pages). I mean, don't do it "blindly".

Let's say your / partition is on /dev/hda1 and you want to move /usr to
/dev/hda2.

All the following should be done ad root, so TAKE CARE AND THINK TWICE
BEFORE HITTING YOUR 'ENTER' KEY!
You should take one more precaution by going into single user mode (by
typing "init 1") before doing this. Ok. Here we go.

- First, you create a ext2 file system on /dev/hda2 with mke2fs.
        mke2fs /dev/hda2

- Then you mount this partition. (Let's say in /mnt/tmp)
        mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/tmp

- You now have to transfer your /usr to /mnt/tmp. To do this, I'd use a
command as :
        (cd /usr && tar cpf - .) | (cd /mnt/tmp && tar xpf -)

Once this is done, rename your /usr directory (for instance in
/usr.old), create a new /usr directory, umount your /dev/hda2 partition,
and remount it into /usr.
        mv /usr /usr.old
        mkdir /usr
        umount /mnt/tmp
        mount /dev/hda2 /usr

Finaly, update your /etc/fstab and add the line :
/dev/hda2    /usr          ext2    defaults        1 2

Voila! You're done!

Useless to say that you do exactly the same for your /home partition.

To go back to your previous runlevel, type init 3 (console login) or
init 5 (graphical login).
ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THAT YOUR NEWLY CREATED PARTITIONS ARE OK, you can
delete your /usr.old and /home.old directories.

If you need more infos, take a look at the Hard-disk-upgrade mini-HOWTO

HTH
Flupke