Was the same ISP used with all the Linux versions that you tried ?

I suspect the problem is your ISP or a bad telephone line. There could a lot of
frames being lost and retried (by your modem if error correction enabled) which
would account for some of the pauses.

You may have to play with the PPP settings. You could try reducing the maximum
PPP frame lengths as this will improve the success rate of the frames going
through without error.

Trying pinging the dns server of you ISP and see if it is reliable and quick.

Dean.