Daniel Anderson escribió:

> Hi,
>         I recompiled the kernel on a Mandrake 6.5 system and forgot to run
> depmod before rebooting,now it hangs at checking module dependencies.Is
> there a way to rescue the system without reinstalling?
>         Thanks,
>         Dan

If you did a boot disk when you instaled the Linux, first of all , try to run

the system with it.
Have a look to your lilo.conf at /etc, you could see a line as:
image=/boot/vmlinuz
Look for a file , maybe at /boot directory called vmlinuz.old  or something
like that at the same directory, sometimes when you recompile the kernel if
you select the option that modify the lilo.conf , the old image is changed
but not lossed.
you'll have got the new image of the kernel. Change the name of the new
kernel's image  (i.e. mv vmlinuz
/boot/vmlinuz.new) an do the same with the old image (ie. mv vmlinuz.old
/boot/vmlinuz).  Restart the system, this time without the disk, It could
works.
If you didn't a boot disk when you installed your system , I'm afraid you'll
have to install again your system. Maybe someone can give you another
solution.
Good luck.

Fernando  García.