Can anyone help?
I have decided to learn C and have followed the examples in the books C in 24
hours by Tony Zhang and Running Linux by Welsh and co.
The problem is, after following the text for the first program very carefully
(I used vi ) I compiled the program with

gcc -o hello hello.c

as I was told to.  This worked fine and when I went to test it with the command
hello at the prompt it came back that hello is not a command.  I can not
understand my mistake as I have followed the book to the letter.
In saying that, if I start up x and open my home file, click on hello and then
close x the phrase 'hello world' (it is my first program) appears above the
prompt.  Why can it not appear when I type I hello at the prompt as the two
books mention?
  --
scotchpie