Have you tried playing with the FLOW CONTROL in the modem setup?
Just a thought
Jaguar

"Shamuu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>       MIME Type: multipart/alternative
> Okay.... before we all scream winmodem
>
> It works with redhat linux 5.1 as /dev/modem .. ttyS1 as com2 irq 3  so its
not a linux incompatibility issue.

> in kppp .. modem query  ttyS0 shows   modem ready but gives no ATI
>
>  ttyS1 and others show ... sorry modem busy
>
> the modem is a variant Lucent modem made for Compaq, so Ive found,
installed, and tried the ltmodem module to no avail.  Ive also used setserial
until im blue in the face.

> Im convinced this mandrake package does not even "see" the modem.  the kudzu
module (hardware dectection) gets a segment fault on bootup, and i have
re-installed that package as well with no luck

> Thinking I had a bad distribution, i bought another from a different source
and still the same things are happening.  The remainder of the system seems to
work very well.

> My old redhat 5.1 package has several other problems but the modem and
internet connection does work.

> So im kinda damned if I do, damned if i don't.
>
> Any ideas people??

The Dogma chased the Stigma, and was hit by the Karma.

http://webmail.netscape.com.