Hey Vicky! It sounds like you might be following the same path I did! I got
a similar
error message on startup. I just went back and found the rest of the posts
from that thread and pasted them in below. It looks like I may end up
having to do all this again myself because I'm probably going to have to
reinstall after some unknown cataclysmic event nuked everything in Linux
last night!

-=Drake X=-
======================================

for one, I dn't know if you typed this the first time, but in your rc.local
it should be /dev/ttyS2 instead of dev/ttyS2. Also, I forgot to mention
that also in your isapnp.conf file you have to un-comment a line near the
bottom that says something to the effect of (ans y). This tells it to
accept your configuration. Also, within each block of paramaters, make sure
you ONLY uncomment the two lines identifying irq and base:
i.e.
(IO 0 (SIZE 8) (BASE 0x02f8))
and
(INT 0 (IRQ 3 (MODE +E)))
Hope this helps.

**** and from a 2nd post:

Your modem may still be able to be on com 2. Since this is plug and play,
it doesn't HAVE to be on thhe same port as it is in windows. As long as
com2 is open(and the irq associated with it), you can configure it to be on
com2 in your iaspnp.conf file.