Yes, but it is DOS based, called Norton Utilities 8, and the program to run
there is called CALIBRATE, it does extensive pattern testing on the hard
drive.  Although I have not tried it on a Linux filesystem, but I know that
utility can fix some flakey hard drive problems.
HTH
Jaguar

Drake X <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I hope it's not a hard drive problem. The system is only about 3 months
> old, although the HD is close to a year old. It's a Maxtor drive. Do you
> know of any way to do a system check? Thanks!
>
> At 07:30 PM 05/14/2000 -0400, you wrote:
> >X Drake wrote:
> > >
> > > I think I may finally be ready to throw in the towel on Linux.
Everything
> > > is gone, and I wasn't even doing a damn thing other than browsing with
> > > Netscape. One 2nd everything was great, then for no apparent reason the
> > > browser went blank - nothing but a white screen - and it wouldn't close.
So
> > > I went to use the Kill tool on it, but I couldn't because all the
desktop
> > > icons had disappeared, leaving only black outlines of where they would
> > > normally be. I still wasn't overly concerned because this happens from
time
> > > to time anyway. I tried to shutdown, but the shutdown message just came
up
> > > and froze, along with everything else except the mouse. So I manually
> ><SNIP!>
> >WOW!  I've never had any of these problems, it looks like a flaky hard
> >drive,
> >I know Linux is a LOT more particular about it's disk/file conditions.
> >Back
> >when I was using WinLinux 2000 (Linux used as a BIG Windoze file) I
> >would have
> >to run scan disk almost everytime I tried to use WinLinux!  But once
> >Linux was
> >sure of it's files and their condition it ran well.  I'm sorry to see
> >you go and
> >I still wonder if it is not a hardware problem: heat on the motherboard,
> >bad stick
> >of RAM or again some weirdness with the hard drive.  I know windoze is a
> >lot more
> >tolerant of hard drive errors.
> >vern
> >
> >--
> >      Vernon Stilwell                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >      Hardinsburg, Kentucky            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >   This email was created in a Micro$haft free environment!
> >        Silly hacker, root is for administrators!

The Dogma chased the Stigma, and was hit by the Karma.

http://webmail.netscape.com.